Basingstoke offers creative energy, outstanding leisure facilities and a rich cultural programme, alongside its thriving business community. Housing, employment and leisure are all part of our growth story – creating a modern, vibrant location that offers exciting business and job opportunities, coupled with a fantastic quality of life.
We’ve got a lot of good things going for us:
- Dynamic business community already here. We are home to 7,900 businesses including Eli Lilly and Company, The AA, De La Rue PLC, Fujitsu, Genus, Reassured, RingGo, Sony, Tech Data and Vitacress Salads Limited.
- An abundance of exciting investment opportunities, see below.
- Great transport links with Heathrow only 40 minutes away by road and fast trains to London Waterloo in 45 minutes.
- Competitively priced office space.
- A highly-skilled workforce to build your business together with great links to education with two local colleges and seven universities in the region.
- Fourth best UK location for investment in growing technology companies according to Tech Nation 2019.
- Named as one of the top 50 places to live in Britain in Halifax Quality of Live Survey 2020.
- Located in the historic county of Hampshire. With an economic output totalling £50bn Hampshire is one of the most successful economies in the UK and the largest sub-regional economy in the South East of England. See Business Hampshire.
- Business-minded council with imagination and a can-do attitude.
- Skydive, see a concert at the Anvil, enjoy first class shopping at Festival Place or run the Basingstoke half marathon in our wonderful countryside. We’ve got leisure and culture covered.
- We’re aiming to become a carbon neutral borough by 2030.
- And we have quintessential English countryside all around.
Investment for growth
The town has seen major investment including the £280 million purchase of Festival Place, the redevelopment of The Malls Shopping Centre and a £50 million Network Rail regional operating and national training centre. The largest combined John Lewis at Home and Waitrose store in the UK opened in November 2015 and a new business-class Village Hotel opened early in 2020. Work is currently under way to deliver three new Grade A office spaces on Basing View, our town centre business district with Enterprise Zone status where eligible businesses can apply for up to £55,000 per year of business rates relief.
Working in conjunction with the Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership to improve infrastructure is a key factor in the council’s masterplan to drive economic growth. As part of this, the borough and county councils have attracted £30 million of government funding to carry out major road schemes to improve the gateways into Basingstoke.
The planned garden community at Manydown will deliver up to 3,520 new homes on the northern section of the land, building on the town’s prosperity by creating hundreds of new jobs and bringing new talent and skills to the area.
Working with NewRiver Leisure Ltd on a £300 million transformation project, the council is aiming to give residents regional class leisure facilities and create a destination of choice for the south of England. Plans include doubling of the existing leisure facilities to 500,000 square feet and a new 200,000 square feet designer outlet centre in response to unmet demand along the M3 corridor.
Work is currently under way by the Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, who are in the process of considering potential sites for a new hospital to serve the North and Mid-Hampshire area.
The council is also consulting on a strategic vision for land to the north of junction seven of the M3, including a state of the art health and wellbeing campus, storage and distribution facilities and new homes.
The new Central Basingstoke Strategy will open up residential, leisure and retail opportunities, while a Station Quarter redevelopment plan is being developed to transform station square and create new connected public spaces with a dedicated rapid transport and cycle route.
On top of Openreach’s commercial deployment of superfast broadband, Basingstoke has greatly benefitted from the roll out of Hampshire’s Superfast Broadband Programme, which provides superfast connectivity to residents and businesses alike.
Virgin Media’s Fibre Optic Broadband footprint has been massively increased in Basingstoke under their on-going expansion work, providing ultra-fast speed broadband across their network.
As Basingstoke was one of the first towns included in Openreach’s Fibre First Towns programme, large parts of the town are having ultra-fast broadband installed, ensuring Basingstoke has the infrastructure in place to meet future demands of the home and workplace.