This 13th Century building was greatly enlarged in 1524 by Lord Sandys of The Vyne, when he added the Chapel of the Holy Trinity to the south side of the chancel as a private burial place for the Sandys family. Both Chapels are now Grade II listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments.
In 1858 the cemetery was greatly extended into the current footprint to accommodate the growing population and wealth of the town. Two Gothic chapels were built serving the Episcopalian and Dissenter mourners, both of which have now been demolished, and the Cemetery Lodge on Chapel Hill which is now a Grade II listed building.
Several important local figures are buried in the cemetery including Thomas Burberry, the clothing manufacturer, Alfred Milward of Milwards Shoes, John Mares, supplier of polar clothing and raincoats and John Aidan Liddell, Victoria Cross.
The cemetery was closed for new burials in about 1912 when a cemetery in Worting Road was opened but is still being used for the internment of ashes.
The Holy Ghost Cemetery is a precious green space in the centre of the town and includes areas of chalk grassland and cemetery landscapes with feature trees and public footpaths. Plus, a community garden provides easy access to the cemetery from Vyne Road – just behind Basingstoke railway station.