People like you, who become members of Basingstoke – Old Basing u3a, have the opportunity to develop their interests, make new friends and have fun, by joining groups. We are part of the Third Age Trust, which is the national representative body, co-ordinating u3as across the country. We have been running for 22 years and have more than 700 members.
What we offer
We run 60+ groups, who meet across Basingstoke and cover bridge to table tennis, cycling and languages. We offer recreational and social activities, plus a wide range of educational study groups. The atmosphere is very friendly and informal. You can join as many of the groups as you wish, for one annual fee. We also offer excursions and holidays across the UK and overseas. In most months, we hold a general meeting for all members, usually with an external guest speaker. We produce a regular newsletter, which we send to all members.
By participating in our groups, you could contribute to a healthy lifestyle…
- ballroom dancing
- line dancing
- BCoT Luncheon club
- Members on their Own
- Cooking at home
- Ladies that lunch
- learn a new language
- play bridge, scrabble and board games
- discuss history
- quiz afternoon
- flowers for fun
- patchwork and quilting
Current activities in the spring
Longer days are here and our outdoor groups are all coming fully to life. Croquet, walking football and rounders have restarted for example, joining our walkers and cyclists who’ve been meeting throughout the winter. A band of our cyclists thoroughly enjoyed exploring byways in France recently, whilst walkers have loved the scents and colours of the bluebell woods around Medstead and its old church.
Many of us are meeting indoors – though still as safely as possible for our more cautious members. Together we are dancing and singing towards the summer, playing games or doing quizzes. Some are knitting or sewing; others are enjoying netball and table tennis. Those who love a lively debate are sharing ideas within science and technology or philosophy groups.
All members are welcome to join our monthly meetings.
- In April 2022, we returned to QMC for a face-to-face meeting and refreshments, with a high-flying talk by Phil Holt, entitled: Keep Calm – I’m an Air Traffic Controller
- We all met in Lychpit to have a good chat about our future, and ensure that we continue to run the activities people want.
- On 11 May, we had a talk at QMC by Mr Peter Thompson, (27 years a barrister), entitled You the Jury
- We will be having a Platinum Jubilee picnic celebration at Stratton Park on Wednesday, 8 June. Nibbles will be provided. We would love to see any memorabilia you have from the Queen’s Coronation.
Excursions and Holidays
In 2022, we have the following excursions and holidays booked (you do need to be a member to join them):
- June: RAF Hendon Air Museum and Grand Union Canal barge trip
- July: Mayflower Theatre, Southampton – matinee performance
- November: Turkey And Tinsel, The Shanklin Hotel, Isle of Wight.
Find out more
Nothing stops our members enjoying themselves! You can join as many groups as you like, until the end of August 2022, for just one annual fee of £25!
If you would like to find out more about us and all the activities we run, please visit our website or the Basingstoke U3A Facebook page. If you would like to join us or have general enquiries, please email: email@example.com. Alternatively, you can ring the national office on 020-8466-6139, who will re-direct you to us.
We’re waiting to hear from you!
Blog supplied by Basingstoke – Old Basing U3A.