The story so far...
The health and care sector in Basingstoke is the largest employer within the borough employing almost 10,000 people through 2021. Latest figures reveal that the industry generated a total GVA figure of £274.6m through 2019 working out as a total percentage of the Basingstoke economy of 5.12%. This figure is impressive enough to come in as the boroughs fifth highest in terms of GVA. While the sector is currently functioning at the national average rate with a location quotient of 1.02, job growth of 2.8% from 2020 to 2021 demonstrates an encouraging sign for the sector. While the impacts of COVID-19 will have had a role in this increase, it is a certain way to demonstrate the value of health and care on an economic basis.
The sector is widely driven by the Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital which is located in the Sherborne St John ward and operates within the Hampshire Hospital Foundation Trust (HHFT) which serves approximately 600,000 people across the whole of Hampshire and into West Berkshire. The HHFT employs 8,600 staff members and operates three hospitals in the Hampshire region seeing 639,508 outpatients and 137,052 emergency attendances*. Basingstoke and North Hampshire hospital has been a lead in special areas of medical care as well as technological advancement. The hospital boasts a purpose built Diagnosis and Treatment Centre while also becoming the first European hospital to perform surgery using voice operated equipment in 1999.
Where are we now?
- 1,155 companies in the sector based in the borough (Q2, 2022)
- 10,747 jobs (2021)
- 11.7% borough workers are employed in the sector
Harnessing our talent
Having the necessary talent pool is an essential factor for health and care firms in order for them to conduct the critical work they conduct. From nurses to doctors having the right talent is imperative to keep the health and care service functioning
Our competitive advantage:
- The existence of a large-scale hospital facilitates and supports the employment of 9,631 people, while plans to develop show the commitment to this sector within the borough.
- Resourceful planning: the plans to build a new hospital reflect the desire to keep pace with the needs of the local residents.
- Access to talent at trainee, graduate and post-graduate level, for student placements, work experience, projects, R&D and recruitment.
How we can help
The Economic Development team can save your business time, money and effort by utilising our expert knowledge of the area. We can help you with:
- your property search
- recruitment and training
- making introductions to the business community
- connecting your business to growth support
- co-ordinating with our internal teams to make your move as smooth as possible
- promotion following your move to Basingstoke.
Get in touch via email@example.com
* Hampshire Hospitals strategy 2022-2028