Love Basingstoke Logo

If you are looking to start up a business then our expert team is on hand to guide you through the process and connect you with local organisations and the wider business community. 

GOV.UK business webpages offer start up information and advice for any individual interested in starting up their own business. 

Where a number of redundancies are announced Business Link has increased flexibility to hold extra start up courses. This supports those individuals affected by redundancy and wishing to change career direction into self employment. 

There are also a few things you will need to consider. 


If you are looking to run your business from home then Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council has developed a guide to help you. 

If you are looking to move to new premises then local property agents will be able to assist you in finding something to suit your needs. There are also plenty of serviced offices or places to rent a desk if you are just starting out. 

If you are moving into new premises you might need planning permission or building regulations approval for your business. For example, if you wish to move into premises that have been used for something else before you may need to apply for change of use. Planning permission would also be required to alter a shop front or extend premises. Check Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s planning information. 


If you are thinking of starting up a business that may require a licence such as those involving alcohol, animals or skin treatments, you can find out more information about licensing on the council’s website. 

Business rates 

Business rates is a way for those who occupy commercial properties to contribute towards local services. Payment of business rates is typically on a 10-month instalment plan. Some businesses qualify for ‘small business rate relief’ – find out if your business qualifies. 

Health and safety 

Businesses have a legal duty to provide a safe and healthy place of work for staff together with anyone visiting your business such as customers. Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council can provide you with health and safety advice and the Health and Safety Executive has plenty of information. 

Starting a food business 

When starting up a food business, it is important to get things right from the start because this will make it much easier to run your business well in the future. You will need to ensure you register a new food business with the local authority at least 28 days before opening. To register your food business or for more information, visit Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s website. 

Business waste and recycling 

All businesses produce waste, whether this is a few sheets of scrap paper or more considerable amounts of waste every week. Businesses that create waste have a duty of care to ensure the waste is kept safe, stored appropriately and disposed of properly. 

The duty of care applies to all businesses, regardless of size. Further information on your responsibilities can be found on the government website. 

The council no longer provides a commercial waste service. Businesses can contact any licensed waste service provider to set up a collection contract. 

Employing staff 

If you are employing staff for the first time and need some information, the GOV.UK website offers advice on employing staff for the first time. We can help with recruitment by connecting you with job clubs or advertising vacancies in the skills bulletin. 

Tax and National Insurance 

As a business you might be required to pay certain taxes or National Insurance. HMRC has developed a range of online presentations to support businesses making tax easier, quicker, and simpler. Lasting about an hour, the webinars are live and interactive, so questions can be asked. To find a list of topics and dates see the HMRC website. 

Additional help and advice 

Additional help and advice is available from these organisations: