The story so far...
The advanced manufacturing sector in Basingstoke and Deane has always played a vital role in the economy of the borough, ever since famous manufacturers like Burberry and Thornycroft made it home of their manufacturing operations in the 1800s.
It continues to be a priority to this day, having attracted a wide range of well-known advanced manufacturing businesses such as Honeywell, Thermo Fisher and De La Rue along the way.
There is a healthy mix of homegrown businesses and multinationals, from digital hardware firms to pharmaceutical development and production, manufacturing firms are already here, employing over 4,500 people.
The borough’s strategic position in north Hampshire creates a magnet for skilled talent. With quick rail links to London and nearby cities and six universities only a short distance away, businesses have a rich talent pool to tap into.
Where are we now?
- 1,058 companies in the sector based in the borough (Aug, 2023)
- Over 4,500 jobs (2021)
- 5.3% borough workers are employed in the sector
- Pharmaceuticals, electrical equipment, computers and peripherals and paper are the advanced manufacturing areas of strength.
Harnessing our Talent
For many companies, the talent pool is an important factor in their choice of location. Basingstoke is a place where great ideas are shaping things to come.
Our competitive advantage:
- A healthy mix of homegrown businesses and multinationals, from digital hardware firms to pharmaceutical development and production, manufacturing firms are already here, employing over 4,500 people.
- Home to international firms that gross hundreds of millions in turnover each year.
- Access to talent at trainee, graduate and post graduate level, for student placements, work experience, projects, R&D and recruitment.