The story so far...
Scientific research and development is a sector that is rapidly improving and searching for the solutions to the problems of tomorrow and many businesses are making Basingstoke their home in order to facilitate this development. Calling itself home to 762 companies, scientific research and development comes in as one of Basingstoke’s priority sectors and with almost 2,700 employees within this sector it forms a large employer for the borough’s economy.
There are eight individual industries that form this sector with these ranging from those involved with pharmaceuticals to research organisations and those involved with the experimental development of a variety of products. Included within this sector ranks businesses of all size and development with headliners including Eli Lilly and Crescent Pharma. The 762 companies that call Basingstoke home collectively combine for a total collective turnover of £1.38 billion with Genus leading the way with a turnover of £574m showing that scientific research and development firms can use Basingstoke as a base to host their multi-million pound operations or use it as a platform to springboard their business.
The Index of Services report as published by the ONS would reveal that the volume of output by this industry has gradually been on the increase, reaching nine-year highs with an output value in 2021 of 104.6, building on the consistent growth seen in the previous five years.
Where are we now?
- 762 companies in the sector based in the borough (Q2, 2022)
- 2,689 jobs (2021)
- 3% borough workers are employed in the sector
Harnessing our talent
For many companies, the talent pool is an important factor in their choice of location. Basingstoke is a place where great ideas are shaping things to come.
Our competitive advantage:
- A healthy mix of homegrown businesses and multinationals, from pharmaceutical firms to those in the wholesale trade, firms are already here and employ 2,689 people.
- A total of 7,000 individuals within the borough work under the professional, scientific and technical activities grouping showing there is an abundance of highly skilled workers.
- Vacancies within the sector at highest annual rates since recording began, meaning Basingstoke has an opportunity to fill a need in the market – 129,000 vacancies in the UK between June and August 2022 with a 33.9% increase compared to 2021 totals.
- Access to talent, at trainee, graduate and post graduate level, for student placements, work experience, projects, R&D and recruitment.
How we can help
The Economic Development team can save your business time, money and effort by utilising our expert knowledge of the area. We can help you with:
- Your property search.
- Recruitment and training.
- Making introductions to the business community.
- Connecting your business to growth support.
- Co-ordinating with our internal teams to make your move as smooth as possible.
- Promotion following your move to Basingstoke.
Get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org